Ande Ki Bhurji
Spiced Scrambled Eggs
I had such a terrific fun filled time with family from India over at our place. I felt lazy and tired and was in no mood to go grocery shopping after such a hectic weekend. But life has to go on and I had to go to work as usual and then jump back into the routine of cooking to get going. But what to cook…??
A simple dish should serve the purpose. With no vegetables in the refrigerator, I had to scramble up something. I did not want to be really bothered with cooking that would involve a lot of time. The rains only worsened the mood for the day. So on a cold rainy spring day, BLD (breakfast, lunch or dinner), any time meal would be a fantastic choice.
Bedhe Je Bhurji, would just be right on a day when you come home late from work or you are too tired or feeling lazy like the way I am feeling today. If one has to describe Bhurji it is just whisking and cooking up eggs with some dry masalas. Bedhe Je Bhurji can be relished at any time of the day. This dish uses the simplest ingredients that are stocked up at home like eggs, onions, green peppers tomatoes and cilantro. This can be eaten in a variety of ways,
1) Eat it in/as a sandwich for breakfast.
2) Eat it just by itself as a snack.
3) Eat it as a side dish with rice & curry for lunch/dinner.
4) Put Bhurji in tortillas with some chutney and ketchup and eat it as a wrap.
5) Eat it with rotis or phulkas.
Note: This is such a unique dish, if you don’t want the eggs, substitute with paneer and you have a vegetarian Paneer Bhurji.
Want a low cholesterol recipe, omit out the yolks from the eggs.
Even better, if you want a low calorie recipe omit the butter and cook with just 1 tsp of oil.
Need something healthier, add some veggies.
Enjoy this BLD anyway you like….
- 4 Eggs
- 1 Medium Onion finely chopped
- 1 Medium Tomato diced
- ½ Green Pepper (Capsicums)
- ½ cup Milk
- 1 green chili chopped finely
- 1 tsp jeera
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red Chili powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- Few sprigs of fresh Cilantro finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a non-stick pan on medium heat and add the oil. Add jeera and chopped onion. Sauté until onion turns translucent and pink.
- Add chopped tomatoes, green peppers, green chilies, red chili powder, turmeric powder and coriander powder. Sauté for 1 min.
- Add salt and pepper as per taste.
- Break the Eggs into the pan directly. Stir once and wait until the eggs begin to set.
- Add milk and stir gently so that the eggs break up, and once the eggs are set completely the scrambled egg pieces will start to get coated with the spices. Now stir constantly and cook the eggs till dry or up to desired consistency.
- Add the cilantro leaves, butter and mix well.
- Serve hot with bread for breakfast or with phulka as a meal or as a wrap.
- Serve it anyway & anytime you want, it’s a BLD (Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner).
Keep it simple, keep it Sindhi.