Meethi Seviyaan Aur Aloo
Sweet Vermicelli and fried Potatoes
It has been over a week that I have not blogged a single recipe. Shopping and packing is to be blamed for this. I have been extremely busy and at the same time very excited about my trip. I will be taking a short break from blogging as I will be going out of the country. Whilst I am gone for 3-4 weeks, I thought I should put up a traditional and unique Sindhi recipe.
I have called this unique because the recipe is a combination of savory and sweet. …Serve this for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner. You can serve it for any occasion like marriage, Chhatti (sixth day ceremony), a puja at home, festival time (especially Holi) it goes well anytime. Sehyoon (Seviyaan) is served not only by Sindhis, but also by other Hindus and Muslims. Sehyoon is a Sindhi word for Vermicelli and is well known as seviyaan. The best part is, it’s simple to make and absolutely yummy and delicious.
Sehyoon Patata is basically roasted vermicelli cooked with water, cardamom pods and topped with chopped dry nuts served with fried, slightly spiced, potatoes. Without any further ado, I am off to cook Sehyoon Patata so I can blog the recipe as quick as possible. Here is the recipe for Sehyoon Patata.
Ingredients for Sehyoon (Seviyaan):
- 1 cup Vermicelli (Bambino Variety)
- 1 1/3 cup Water
- 4 tbsp Sugar
- 3 pods Green Cardamoms
- 2 tbsps Ghee or unsalted Butter
- 2 tbsp chopped dry Fruits (almonds, cashews, pistachios)
Method for Sehyoon:
- Heat ghee in a heavy bottomed pan.
- Add sehyoon/seviyaan, cardamoms and cook over low heat stirring constantly till golden brown.
- Add water and sugar stirring gently.
- Cover pan and let it simmer about 8-10 mins till all water is absorbed and all the sehyoon is cooked till soft
- Garnish with dry fruits.
- Serve hot with Taryal Patata/Fried Potatoes
Ingredients for Taryal Patata:
- 2 medium Potatoes peeled and diced
- ½ tsp red Chili powder
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- ¼ tsp Haldi powder
- ¼ tsp dry Mango powder/Ambchoor
- Oil to fry Potatoes
- Salt to taste
Method for Taryal Patata:
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
- When hot, add diced potatoes.
- Fry till potatoes are cooked (fork tender) and lightly browned.
- Drain oil from potatoes and add all the dry masalas. Mix well.
- Serve hot with parathas/dals-rice or in this case with Sehyoon, don’t forget to serve papad.
Note: Add more water if you like the sehyoon/seviyaan/vermicelli very soft. The amount I have used makes the vermicelli separated and not sticky.
Add more sugar if you want it sweeter.
Enjoy this and all my other recipes, till I am back. Remember keep it simple, keep it Sindhi.